Singapore Centre for Chinese Language (SCCL) offers 3 types of packages for experienced teachers on Professional Development Leave. Teachers may choose one of the packages.
- Research + learning report
- Self-proposed package
- Research + short-term study tour + learning report
The Features of the PDL Package:
- Teachers who apply for this package will join SCCL as “Visiting Fellows”;
- SCCL provides the various areas for research, teachers may select the area of interest for professional development and to realize their potential;
- SCCL will assign suitable mentors according to the teachers’ areas of interest. During the period of visit, teachers will have regular consultation sessions with their mentors and will have to write a dissertation (5000-8000 words) which may be nominated for publications in highly acclaimed international journals;
- If applicants opt for the short-term study tour, arrangements will be made for them to sit in during lectures or visit schools (to be arranged by the institution concerned) after the learning objectives has been confirmed.
Content of PDL package (standard package)
Description of Package 1: Research + learning report
1. Research areas:
Please choose one area each from (A) Professional Development and from (B) Pedagogical categories.
|(A) Professional Development||(B) Pedagogy|
|1.||Topic on Classical Literature||1.||Oral Skills|
|2.||Topic on Modern and Contemporary Literature||2.||Reading Skills|
|3.||Topic on Educational Theories||3.||Writing Skills|
|4.||Topic on Applied Linguistics||4.||Thinking Skills|
|5.||Topic on Chinese History||5.||Creativity|
|6.||Topic on ICT in Education||6.||Differentiated Instruction, D.I.|
|7.||Topic on Assessment for Learning||7.||Newspapers in Education|
|8.||Topic on Curriculum||8.||Activities in Teaching|
|9.||Topic on Teaching Theories||9.||Teaching Literature|
|10.||Topic on Learning Theories||10.||ICT in Teaching|
A) Professional DevelopmentPedagogy
2. Learning report:
Participants may choose an area of interest from the above categories for the learning report and propose a research topic. SCCL will assign a suitable mentor to provide guidance. Examples:
A. Professional Development category
- A Study of the Modernity of XX’s Works
- A Study of the Tragic Sense of Life in Lao She’s Novels
B. Pedagogical category
- A Research on ICT and Creative Reading
- A Research on Reading and Development of Students’ Creative Thinking Skills
Description of Package 2: Self-proposed package
- Flexible, will tailor to individual’s needs
Description of Package 3: Research + short-term study tour + learning report
- Please refer and select from the research areas listed in Package 1.
- Short-term study tour: participants may arrange the Overseas Immersion/Study Tours by themselves for 2-3 weeks.
For Package 1 & 3:
- Small-group discussions (assuming there are more than 1 applicant who chooses the same research areas during the PDL period)
- Specialised tutorials (one-to-one or one-to-a few tutoring and discussion)
Fees for Professional Development Leave
- Package 1 and Package 2：$1,500 (Excluding GST)
- Package 3：$1,200 (Excluding GST)
Overseas Immersion/Study Tours (additional charges borne by participants)
- Download the Application Form and email it to the Coordinator upon completion.
Any clarifications you may contact:
- Ms Wong Angel, Executive (Curriculum) (firstname.lastname@example.org or 6467 5667 Ext. 248)
- Ms Wong Sirong, Executive (Curriculum) (email@example.com or 6467 5667 Ext. 241)